A retired United States Marine, who was gunned down after having a dispute with a fugitive Briton on the run from a drugs trial in Sheffield has died in Bangkok after being paralysed for six years.

Biff Whiting, 72, had been in dispute with Darren Oxley, 48, who fled a Sheffield Crown Court in 2001 and turned up in  Hua Hin in Thailand where he started a property company and built his own seaside mansion.

Oxley Mansion

After Whiting took legal action against Oxley, his wife and his company Oxley Homes his car was firebombed.   And shortly afterwards he was gunned down at his front door in October 2008. He took six bullets and one lodged in his spine.

Oxley outside the Whitring’s home in Hua Hin

Although the Thai Prime Minister at the time Abhisit Vejjajiva ordered a speedy investigation it took six years to get the case to trial. No charges were brought against Oxley, who frequently entertained police and civic officals in his mansion.

But last year his wife Janpen Oxley was jailed for life as was the Thai gunman for conspiracy to murder.

But even local English language forums were scared to print the judgment,

The court heard that payments had been tracked from Janpen’s account to the gunman’s team.

Mrs Oxley still however still not served a day in prison. She is appealing the verdict/

Before he died Donald ‘Biff’ Whiting was severely critical of the British authorities for not seeking extradition for Oxley.  The gunman had written to him from jail asking for forgiveness.

Janpen Oxley

“I had never spoken to Janpen Oxley ever. My row was with Oxley and I had complained on the internet about his shoddy services. Why are people like Darren Oxley allowed to wander freely.”

In 2001 nine of Oxley’s associates were jailed for a total of 60 years at Sheffield Crown Court for dealing drugs in clubs like the town’s ‘Republic’.

In the court it was claimed Oxley was the ringleader of the operation and his crew had “lived in fear” of him. He was described as “violent” and “not a man you mess with” who had made considerable amounts of money.

But Oxley, now 46, who stood in the dock with them, was now nowhere to be seen when it came to judgment and sentencing.

A bench warrant was issued for his arrest but never acted on.

Attempts were made shortly after the shooting under the Freedom of Information act after South Yorkshire Police declined to comment. They were dismissed as the case was ‘an ongoing operational police matter’.

Whiting’s widow Dolly Samson, an educator commented:

Sunday Mirror (by the author)

Yesterday, my husband of 30 years passed away peacefully in his sleep. 

He had been fighting for 7 years the indignities and dependencies of paralysis as well as a year of throat cancer. 

The radiation treatment devastated his body. This morning we had the temple service and cremation, and he’s now in a much happier place, heading to tranquil destinations. 

Biff (or Donald as you may know him) is the King of My Heart, the Wind beneath My Wings, and my best friend. 

I miss him terribly, but I am relieved to see his suffering – which he endured with stoicism and good humor – come to an end. 

I’ve got a terrific support team of four lovely Thai women – Ae, Biff’s nurse who’s tended to him for nearly 7 years; Goong, his night nurse; Daisy, a former maid and friend; and Fon, Ae’s niece and current maid.

Oxley – passport photo

Their job titles don’t begin to describe the grace, the dedication, and the love they’ve shown Biff in caring for him. We could not have made this journey without them. 

Thanks to everybody for your condolences and good wishes. Biff is now walking to his new destination.